First steps.

The sellers wanted 3 months settlement time, which suited us because we needed to decorate our old house ready for sale so made good use of the time. In fact we were on the cusp of selling it just as the settlement date drew close and it was settled not long after we moved which was ideal.

It was after we arrived that the full extent of the problems we’d face renovating the property became more apparant. The previous owners had effectively gone bankrupt so they’d been unable or unwilling to do anything to the property that cost them money. Simple straightforward maintenance had been ignored and essential remedial tasks had just been ignored. I’m not going to pass on a catalogue of the problem areas we identified fairly early on but yes, they were ‘many and various’. One however bears mentioning.

We learned very quickly that the reason the dam smelled so bad was that the septic tank (situated directly above it) hadn’t been maintained. The system required a working pump for almost a year and the previous owners hadn’t had it repaired with the result that the ‘second tank’ was over flowing with untreated water. Our immediate task was to call in the experts, have the tank emptied and the pump repaired. It took nearly 6 months for nature to work on the surrounding ground and make it sweet smelling again, but it was a task well done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>